Micro-needling therapy is also called collagen induction therapy. This minimally-invasive non-surgical and nonablative skin rejuvenation uses a device to create controlled skin injury. Small fine needles puncture the skin, creating a channel or micro-wound which triggers the body to heal these channels by producing new collagen and elastin. In addition, new capillaries are formed creating increased nutrient rich blood flow to the treated area.
Professional micro-needling is considered to be one of the safest skin treatment procedures since it causes minimal damage to the skin.
- Correcting overall photo-damage/skin rejuvenation- pigment, texture, wrinkles.
- Reducing the appearance of scars from acne, surgery, or burns.
- Fading stretch marks
- Reducing fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Pigment disorders- age spots, liver spots, lentigo, melasma and post inflammatory pigment (from acne and other inflammatory disorders)
- Skin tightening – particularly around the neck and jowls
As opposed to ablative laser treatments, the epidermis (top layer of skin) remains intact and is not damaged. This leads to less down time and fewer risks of complications.
Specific or small areas can be targeted without the need to “blend” around the treated area. Microneedling does not leave a line of demarcation between treated and untreated skin, which can occur with other resurfacing procedures.
- No lotions, makeup or other topical products should be applied on the day of the procedure.
- A topical numbing cream will be applied for 15-20 minutes prior. Injection of a local anesthetic (lidocaine) is also sometimes used.
- The microneedling device is rolled over the skin multiple times for best results.
- Treatments are repeated every 6 weeks, allowing for new collagen to form.
We recommend having a consultation prior to scheduling your microneedling treatment. This allows us to address all of your concerns so you can properly prepare for your treatment. If time allows, same-day treatment may be available.
If you plan to have same-day treatment after your consultation, please communicate this with your scheduler. We can block the appropriate time on our schedule to accommodate you. PLEASE NOTE- If you book your treatment and are unable to keep your appointment, we request a 24 hour cancelation notice. You may be charged 50% of your service fee if 24-hour notice is not given.
- Overall, microneedling is well tolerated with minimal downtime. Your provider will provide specific post care instructions during your appointment.
- Patients may have dryness, scaling, redness and swelling (similar to a sunburn) after treatment. This may last for several days or longer, depending on the aggressiveness of your treatment.
- Bacterial infection is extremely rare since the micro-channels heal quickly.
- Fever blisters/Cold sores- most people (over 70%) are infected with HSV (herpes simplex virus)- the cause of fever blisters . Many don’t know they carry this virus. Microneedling treatments disrupt the skin barrier and can “reactivate” the virus. Dr. Torosky will prescribe an antiviral medicine that reduces the chance of this reactivation. An outbreak will increase the risk of scarring, pain and healing time.
- Sun protection is necessary for several weeks after treatment.
- Your provider will recommend an appropriate skin care routine to follow.
- Emollients or antibiotic creams may be recommended.
- Rejuvenation of skin may be seen as soon as 2 weeks but improvements continue for 6-8 months.
The number of treatments depends on the individual skin condition being treated. Three to four treatments may be needed for moderate acne scars and wrinkles. Burn scars and stretch marks may require up to 5 treatments.
For long term maintenance of wrinkles and overall skin care, one or two refresher treatments are recommended each year.
Interested in microneedling?
Schedule an appointment