Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing SmartSkin™ CO2
Fractionated CO2 is the gold standard in laser resurfacing. It uses energy to create microscopic cores of vaporized skin which then causes the surrounding collagen to repair and rebuild.
Dr. Torosky utilizes the SmartSkin™ CO2 laser to treat muliple skin problems including:
- wrinkles (both superficial and deep)
- crows feet and lip lines
- sun damage
- skin texture and irregularities
- acne scars and pitting
- minimizes under-eye darkening
- “Madonna Eye Lift” – elevates the brow and tightens loose skin around the eyelids
- rejuvenation of the neck, decolette, aging hands
The SmartSkin™ laser uses small columns of energy to create a grid-like pattern of controlled damage. Tiny wounds are created by vaporizing the skin cells. These wounds stimulate the surrounding healthy skin cells to create new collagen and elastin.
The SmartSkin™ laser can be customized to your needs- depending on your goals and available “down time”.
Dramatic results can be seen with just 1 session if higher energy is used. Or opt for mulitple, milder sessions with faster healing times.
- Milder sessions- recovery can be as quick as 3-4 days
- More intense sessions- recovery typically takes 7-10 days
- Aggressive sessions- revovery can take 2-14 days
The recovery depends on the intensity of your treatment. Possible effects include the following:
- Immediately after treatment: redness, swelling, warm sensation, pin-point bleeding/crusting or oozing.
- Second day on: itching, dryness, tightness, peeling skin.
Specific instructions for skin care throughout your recovery will be provided for you.
Make-up can be applied once peeling is complete. Redness can persist for several weeks, but is easily covered by cosmetics
Results can be seen in as little as 4 weeks. Improvement will continue for several months. The full results are seen around the 6 month mark. This is because it takes several months for the collagen building process to maximize
**With proper skin care and sun protection, results will last for years. The wrinkles and brown spots may never recur.
When performed appropriately and when pre/post instructions are followed carefully, complications are rare.
- Pain- most patients feel uncomfortable duing the treatment. This discomfort usually does not persist. Pain medication will be available if needed (prescribed by Dr. Torosky)
- Redness- a pink color may persist for a few weeks. In rare cases it may last for 3-6 months. This is more common in patients with a history of easy flushing or blushing or who have dilated or broken blood vessels on the treated area.
- Wound healing- typically takes 2-10 days for the outer layers of skin to visibly heal. The deeper collagen continues to heal and build for several months, but this doesn’t cause any “visible” abnormalities.
- Sun sensitivity – treated areas will be more sensitive to the sun for appoximately 4-6 weeks. Dr. Torosky recommends a life-long habit of sun protection which will maximize results.
- Pigment changes- the treated area can heal with either increased or decreased pigment. This is rare and most often occurs in darker skin 2-6 weeks after treatment. Pigment usually fades in 3-6 months but rarely can be permanent.
- Swelling- typically occurs immediately after treatment and can last for 3-7 days.
- Scarring- there is a very small chance of scarring. Thickened (hypertrophic) or keloid scars can form. Please tell us if you have a history of abnormal scarring. DO NOT PICK!!
- Eye exposure- laser energy can damage the eyes. You will have protective eyewear and asked to keep your eyes closed.
- Infection- Infections are rare when you follow the pre/post instructions. Dr. Torosky may prescribe an antibiotic to take during the healing process.
- Fever blisters/Cold sores- most people (over 70%) are infected with HSV (herpes simplex virus)- the cause of fever blisters . Many don’t know they carry this virus. Laser treatments can “reactivate” the virus in the skin. Dr. Torosky will prescribe an antiviral medicine that reduces the chance of this reactivation. An outbreak will increase the risk of scarring, pain and healing time.
- pregnant or breastfeeding
- medications that increase photosensitivity
- use of anticoagulants (blood thinners)
- use of Accutane/isotretinoin in the last 6-12 months
- chemotherapy within the last 12 months
- history of bleeding disorder
- history of keloids or other abnormal scarring
- treatment is limited by skin color. This will be discussed during your consultation. There are alternative resurfacing procedures available (microneedling) for those patients that are not candidates for CO2 resurfacing.
Interested in Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing SmartSkin™ CO2?
Schedule an appointment